Thursday, October 9, 2008

Finally it is off the rack!

Have you ever had an inspiration for a quilt, made the top and then just couldn't find the right back material, the right thread, or the quilt design just didn't seem to work, so the quilt top just hung around your quilting space?

Well, that is "Hugs". I have a friend at work, who whenever I see her (which is usually once a year, since she lives in California), that just screams Blue and White quilt to me. I often just want to walk up to her and wrap a blue and white quilt around her shoulders. She is just the most wonderful person, so for years I have been thinking about making her a quilt.... why when she lives in warm and sunny San Jose, I don't know.... but I have. So finally this year, I decided to do it. We will see each other at the end of the month at a business conference, so I even have the opportunity to give it to her in person. Great, this summer I finally put the top together.

I wanted it to be simple, because she is a simple, yet eloquent type of person. I wanted the quilting to be an integral part of the design, because she is many faceted and I felt it was a way of adding dimension to the simple design. So great, I made the top... now what, it just sat there. I couldn't find a simple blue and white back, that was either in the right shade of blue, or not over powering.

Finally almost 5 months later, I found a simple blue and white poker-dot and began quilting it.

I think the simple poker dot is just right, and if you look closely, the thread adds a touch of purple (the blue has a hint of purple) and a touch of lime green, just to punch it up a bit.


I like the dimension the quilting adds. This is the first time I am using the Bamboo batting made by Fairfield. I won it at retreat two weeks ago :-) It is supposed to be light and natural, so I figured it would be good for use in the California climate, and it is naturally anti-bactorial as well.



You can see the slight rounding of the top by the stitching...



I am about a third of the way done (it is 58"w x 78"l). Have to get the quilting done this week, as I will be on the road next week. This will give me a week at home to bind it before heading to Vegas for the convention.

I can do it, just need to focus! I will just have to keep the large medallion quilt I started at retreat and the rhapsody I have been dying to get started on hold for a bit!





Cheers!
Renee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renee it's beautiful, I love the batik and the polka dot fabric.