Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feeling Good!!

So last week, I promised to bring you up to speed on what I have been up to. 

First, I finished my round on the Pelham Quilters 2010 Round Robin.  Remember, this is what I received.  I can't show you what I decided on just yet, but I promise to post a picture after guild meeting Monday night.

Second, you have seen me working on Raven's wall hanging for awhile, actually since early November.  My poor daughter has had to wait while I finished two Christmas presents, then I worked on hers while I also worked on the Round Robin.  Well it is all quilted and blocked.  Here is a picture of it being blocked on my only rug, in the front porch.

I changed quilting designs as I moved throughout the piece, which was fun, as it didn't get boring.  The top is still wet in this shot, so you can see some of the seams, but here is a close up of some of the quilting.
But to be honest, I am not sure I really like the thread.  I searched and searched for the right thread and while I like the variegated green, with it's subtle color changes, I think it is too heavy.  I used Sulky Blendables 50wt, but think I should have used a finer thread, so that it sunk into the top a little more.  Maybe if not finer, than a little lighter....  but, too late now.

Since this will be a tryptic, I now have to decide where to cut it.  Raven wants the center to be bigger than the side pieces.  It will have to hang a few days and give me a chance to stare at it, before I decide.  Then I will use the technique my friend Elizabeth Rosenberg taught me last week for facing a quilt without corner seams.

I hope to have it done by Monday night to take to guild for Show and Tell and then ship down to Raven in Miami.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Renee, this quilt just puzzles me! LOL It looks just exactly like a puzzle, and I was thinking it was cut into swirly cuts. Then I enlarged it to examine it and realized it was some kind of thin ribbon or something you've used. I'm still trying to figure out how you did it. I LOVE IT!!! Raven is really lucky!!! I also have only looked at your blog to here, so maybe you have explained ealier.

So nice seeing your wonderful work!!!

Renee said...

Thanks so much Cathy. I used Libby Lehman's thread play technigue. I really enjoyed making it as well. I did document the process, so you can see the process in earlier posts, starting back in October.