Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thread, Thread, Thread...

Thread... I think just about every 'art' quilter or fiber artist or quilter or whatever we call ourselves have a love affair with thread. We have cotton thread, rayon thread, polyester thread, wool thread, metallic thread and silk thread. Thread with sheen, thread that is thick and thread that is thin. Thread made by Isacord or Sulky or Madiera or Gutterman or Aurifil or Superior or YLI or Coats & Clark, or... or... or....

I for one, have some of every type, every brand above, plus some. I think I love my thread as much as I love my fabric. Well almost :-)... But one thing that I have noticed as I started really using my Bernina 830, is that thread that was almost lint free on my old Viking throws off tons of lint on the Bernina. Some, so much so, that I have to clean the machine in between bobbin changes. On my Viking, using the same assortment of threads, I almost never saw a buildup of lint. In fact, I could go two full quilts before I realized... OOPS!, I haven't cleaned the machine since I worked on that other project.

I wonder why that is? I know many of you have multiple machines. Do you see a difference in the lint build-up on one type vs another? Or even on one model vs another?

Yes, those same inquiring minds want to know...... Oh, but wait, no one had a thought on the last question this inquiring blogger posted. Oh well... I guess I will just have to ponder this thought on my own for awhile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question...is it the thread or is it the batting? Is it possible that the higher rate of speed effects the amount of lint?

Teri

Renee said...

Nope... For one, I am not even talking about while I am quilting. Doing thread play, I get a large amount of lint. Second, the lint is the exact color of the thread I am using, so it isn't the stabilizer either.

Gayle Bong said...

HI Renee,
I'd have to say yes I noticed it. I piece on an 1130? Bernina and sometimes use a Babylock proquilter and the babylock seems to create/accumulate more. I thought it was my immagination, but lets just say that you confirmed it.