Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ricky Tims Concert

Ok.. so I promised more on the concert Ricky Tims gave at the Super Seminar. Well neither my friend Ashley nor I knew quite what to expect. We knew he played the piano, I knew from The Quilt Show that he had a CD out. But that was it.

Well were we in for a surprise! He not only played the piano magnificently....and a toy piano from when he was 21 months old (poke him on Facebook and ask him to tell you that story :-) ).... but he also played a Didjeridu, a native Australian instrument played by the Aborigines. If you have never heard one before, it almost reminds me of rain falling ever so softly on a bed of pebbles :-). He moves the Didjeridu to the beat, so that the melodic sounds truly made you feel as if you were floating along a river bed. He also played an Indian flute... didn't catch the name, but it only plays 5 notes, and only one pitch. The song he used the Indian flute for was in honor of Indian warriors who had once inhabited the lands by where he lives in Colorado.It was a wonderful evening. He writes all his own music and lays down all his own tracks. He has a new Christmas CD coming out this fall, of which he played one of the songs.

I did capture about 1 1/2 minutes of the concert on video on my camera, but I don't know if I would be breaking some law by posting the video here, so you are all going to have to go out and buy his CD or go to a Super Seminar to hear him play :-).

No comments: