Thursday, December 25, 2008

Generation V: Six Generations of Valdes's (Christmas Present #1)

Here is the quilt I was making for my sister-in-law (my husband's sister) for Christmas. It starts with her grandparents and has six generations that end with her grandchildren. Unfortunately, she hasn't seen it yet, because she lost her husband yesterday (Christmas Eve) to pneumonia.


I will post a picture of the label later, as I forgot to take a photo before I wrapped it. The label has a key for the pictures, with everyone's name that is pictured in the quilt. I also left open spaces on the bottom of the quilt, just in case she has a few favorite pictures of her own, that she would like included. That is why I appliqued the photos blocks on, instead of piecing them in.

I hope she likes it.

UPDATE: 12/28/07
After the wake for my BIL, my husband suggested that we give the family their presents. The girls and grandchildren opened theirs and while my SIL really didn't want to, she set about ripping the paper. Her daughters, who knew what was in the box, stood up to get closer. I had folded the quilt so that the squares with her mother and father were on top. As she pushed back the tissue paper, she burst into tears, picked up the quilt and buried her face in it. I quess I now know that the photo transfer ink had indeed set completely, because she cried in the quilt for a few minutes.

The next day when we arrived back at the house from the funeral, family members gathered around, as my nieces had hung the quilt in the living room. I was in the kitchen warming food, so I didn't get to observe the reactions first hand, but my DH said everyone was amazed. Some kept asking, but how did she get the photos on fabric, others amazed at photos of their grandparents, aunts, uncles, neices and nephews, etc....

I am glad my husband suggested the idea. Thanks. Bob!

1 comment:

Mary L. said...

What a blessing you and this quilt are to your SIL.