Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pelham Quilter's 2010 Round Robin... progress report...

As promised, here are the pictures of not only the round robin top I have been working on, but also the other two tops being done by the group.

I will start with the one you have seen already....
If you remember, this top was started by Cheryl, with the black/white and red center, with curvy sides.  We were all anxious to see what the next person would do with those sides.  Well, Donna added the wonderful women appliqued onto to the grey background.  Each women has different jewelry that was created using a thread painting technique with silver metallic thread.  Next, Jean added the bold black/white/red boarder using Drunkards Path as it's design inspiration.  I like the way she added the corner stones.  I think the curves of the Drunkards Path compliment the curves of Cheryl's original 'square'.  This group is ahead of schedule, as it already has it's final boarder added, which was done by Evelyn.  Evelyn enveloped the piece nicely with the grey narrow boarder, followed by the red wide boarder.  I think it was a perfect finish, as it said, ok...  this top is DONE.  Nice job ladies!

Next is a piece that I don't believe I have showed any pictures of, as I wasn't at either of the meetings where it was passed on.
This piece was started by Joanne M. with the center block composed of a blue/green/teal star.  I am not sure what the pattern is called, but I like the way it also has the appearance of a circle.  I can imagine a couple of these blocks linked together..  should create an interesting secondary pattern.  Anyone know the name of the center star?  Anyway, next Joanne S. added the light grey/powder blue/teal boarder, giving a nice frame to the star.  Lorraine, our guild President, added the outer round.  I like the way she brought the fabric from the center star out to the third round, while also introducing a new complimentary fabric.  The burgundy in the batik introduces the opportunity for the next quilter to add another color into the final boarder.  Can't wait to see what Cathy comes up with as she works on the last round....  anticipation.  Guess I will have to wait until May just like everyone else!

Last, this is the top I worked on.  You will remember my challenge to figure out how to treat the piece.  it kept talking circle to me....

If you followed my earlier posts, you will remember that Teri created the fused center with diamonds creating a starburst outlined with the blue stripe on a black background.  We all loved the center, but had no idea of where to take it.  Doris added the print pieced boarder and black fused boarder that used both circles and diamonds. So my quandary was what to do next...  we had a square with diamonds in the center, then outlined with more diamonds and circles.  So, I decided to follow where my heart kept taking me...  put the square center into a circular hole.  And to do so why not add another shape, so I added triangles via circular flying geese.   I decided that I needed to add orange to the center of the piece, so I used a thin orange piping around the square from Doris, before adding it to the lime green circle.  Then I felt it needed the print brought from the center, so I found a similar print and added another thing piping before adding the flying geese.  Lucky for me, Teri and I have similar tastes, so I had all of the fabric she used in the starburst in my stash.  WooHoo!  Anne gets this top next.  Funny thing is she said when she saw the top after Doris, it screamed 'circle' to her as well.  Now the question is, will she leave it as a circle....  Hmmmmm....  I wonder?

Well that is the current status of our 2010 Round Robin.  Stay tuned....  all three tops will be finished by our May meeting.  We will draw names from those who worked on each top for a 'winner' of the top.  Then we ask each quilter to come back in September with the top quilted for us to gaze at and enjoy the completed process....

Oh yes, then it will be time for Pelham Quilters 2011 Round Robin...  boy does time fly.... 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great Renee! Thanks for sharing the photos. The Joann, Joanne & Lorraine did a great job, it's soft & pretty.

Happy quilting!
Teri

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm really sorry that I couldn't be at the meeting on Monday night. I'm going to pay for it now as I'm the "Anne" who gets the quilt top next. What to do? This one is going to have to hang on the design wall for a while. Boy it's tough being the anchor and having to think of sometime that will enhance the terrific work of all those before me. Whew, another cup of tea is called for!