Monday, September 22, 2008

Dazzling Geese

Ok, sorry I didn't post this during the weekend, but we ended up in Troy to watch Robert's first football game.

Here is my finished baby..... I echo quilted each element, as well as around each flying geese and NY beauty point. The cutouts were also outlined quilted. Everything was done free motion, no walking foot, on my Viking Lily. My echo quilting isn't perfect, but I am getting there (smile). I used Superior Threads Rainbow on the top and bottom.

I really like the un-even wavy bottom.... I didn't put binding on the bottom, in an attempt to give the illusion of it continuing. Instead, I sewed the batting/backing on along the bottom, flipped it over and then basted and quilted. I used the same striped fabric from the piping around all the circles as the binding. I think it gives it a nice finish.

This is the center flying geese circle with the fabric that was the inspiration that started it all. From an earlier post you will remember that I actually drafted all the geese and beauty points. (My first attempt at drafting!) If you can zoom in, you will see that I quilted within the star. It really came out nice, as the various sections of the star, actually pop out.... as if they were raised in some way. Sorry you can't actually touch it, but I love the look.

This is one of the smaller stars from the fabric. I actually fussy cut it out and appliqued it on the black background and then sewed it into the NY Beauty circle. Then I outline quilted the various stars within the star.... again using freemotion quilting. On this picture you can get a good look at the piping I placed around each circle.


This is one of the cut outs from the larger star circles. The panel had 4 different star patterns and I tried to use at least two pieces from each. I outline quilted these as well, as well as within the star, to give it some definition.


I am so pleased with the fact that the fabric inspired me to learn how to draft. Now to send the photos to Diane, the owner of People, Places & Quilts in Charleston and Summerville, SC, where I brought the fabric last year. She was such a pleasure to chat with, in fact, she and my husband had a real long chat while I browsed and shopped.

Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Cheers!!

No comments: