Sunday, September 7, 2008

I've been tagged by Mary Anne

Just got back from vacation in Hilton Head, SC and Savannah, GA (more on vaca and my quilt shop hops in another post) and was catching up on my blog reading. I have been tagged by Mary Anne, so I decided to respond, because I always like trips down memory lane. So here goes...

What I was doing 10 years ago:
As with most Septembers for the past 15 years until this year, September means getting the kids back in school. It was the second year in St. Pius X, and they had adjusted nicely. So I must have been busy making sure their school uniforms were all set, busy getting my Girls Scouts off to a fast start and beginning the soccer season with my son.

5 snacks that I enjoy (none of these are healthy, but I like them anyway :-)):
  • Pecan Turtles
  • Malted Milk Balls
  • Snickers
  • Home made apple pie
  • German Chocolate Cake Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins

5 Things on my to-do list today:
  • unpack from vacation (doubt it will get done :-))
  • Cook dinner for my mom, sister and nieces
  • fix the quilting on a piece that I finished in August, but didn't realize until I was attaching the sleeve that some of the quilting isn't right on the back
  • prepare the back for my star and circle quilt that I finished the top for before vaca (no name yet)
  • catch up on sleep!
4 things I would do if I were a billionaire:
  • Open a quilt shop
  • Have my son design a home, that included a quilting studio, a pool, a relaxation garden and a separate wing for my Mom
  • Buy a plot of land that was large enough to hold my new house, one for my son and one for my daughter
  • Buy my husband a fishing boat
5 Jobs that I have had
  • Knit/Crochet teacher (in 8th grade)
  • Tutor (in 8th grade)
  • Camp Counselor during high school
  • Cashier during high school
  • Many roles at IBM (my only real job)
5 bad habits I have
  • expect others to have the same standards I have
  • procrastinate on the little things, until they become big things
  • buying fabric because it makes my heart sing
  • spending too much money on flowers
  • over-eating (even though I am working hard on this one now)
4 places I have lived
  • Mt. Vernon, NY for all but 5 years on my life
  • New Rochelle, NY for my first 5 years of marriage
  • ok... so I am boring... I stay close to home and family
Five People I Want to Get to Know Better: Hint.... “Tag. You’re it!”
  • Mary Anne
  • Teri
  • Jeanne Moccio
  • Giovanna
  • other art quilters, so I can grow my quilting horizon
6 Random Things
  1. One of my favorite memories is fishing with my dad. One year for my b'day I got my first fishing rod and that summer while fishing for black fish, I hooked into a fish and it took my line under the boat. Dad had to manuvuer the boat, and grab my rod on the other side of the boat so I could bring in the fish! I don't know if the fish was so big, or my rod was just sooo thin, but either way it made for an exciting day and a wonderful memory.
  2. When I was younger, I really enjoyed camping. My longest and bff and I went camping with another friend. We drove to Lake George in her Nova, getting to the camp ground after dark. Unfortunately, the storm that was forecasted wouldn't wait for us to set up camp. The wind was so strong, that we gave up on setting up the tent that evening and bunkered down in the Nova. Well, just as we got ourselves settled in, flashlights and all, along came the ranger, who without even knocking on the car door first, set up our tent, so we could get comfortable. I'll never forget how grateful we were that night!
  3. I don't know if I will live long enough, but I have so many ideas for quilts in my head that I wonder if my life could possibly be long enough. My only hope is that Raven will pass on my quilting supplies to someone who will cherish them as much as I do.... just as my bff did when her mother, my quilting inspiration, passed on.
  4. My youngest child, Robert, is a freshman in college this year. He is attending RPI, studying Civil Engineering. He is also playing football. Secretly, (well maybe not so secretly anymore) I pray daily that he doesn't get hurt playing ball, so he can excel in his studies. Deep in my heart I feel both my children will leave a significant imprint on society, Raven through her HUGE heart, and Robert with his ingenuity. He loved his internship this summer so much, that I hope that he has an opportunity to put his ingenuity and his engineering education together to create something wonderful for society.
  5. I wish I had a GEORGE! My husband says I talk so much about it, that he doesn't doubt I will buy one soon... but I have to stay level headed and wait until the time is right. But of course, I want it NOW.