Monday, March 16, 2009

Breaking thru the fog...

Well, tonight I finally did it. I sat down at my trusty sewing machine after over three weeks. Yes, I had been on the road weekly for the last three weeks, with basically only one to four days home at a time... and yes, both of my children were home last week for Spring Break, so I was duly occupied.

But those are only excuses... I had time... but I couldn't bring myself to sit down at the machine.

I kept asking myself why, and last night while wasting time watching TV, I realized what it was. I LOVE my woven piece and I just wasn't up to quilting it. I was afraid I wasn't going to do the piece justice. I know I had chosen some wonderful threads... I had laid out the initial quilting pattern in my mind. But still I was apprehensive.

Well tonight... I finally broke down and began quilting it. I am happy I did. Nothing happened... it is looking just as I had pictured it. Ok... true, all I did tonight was the SID around the sun rays and some of the stone wall, BUT I quickly realized that this was not going to distract from the piece.

Now, I am excited to get the SID work done, so I can get the applique on! YES!!

Whew... has this ever happened to you? Have you made a top you just love and don't want to ruin it? I can't be alone in my thinking, am I??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome home, Renee. I'd love to see an interim picture as the quilting develops. Yes, I frequently get stalled between steps on a project. It's worse the more I love what I've done to date and am not sure the next step will be as successful. Isn't that an encouraging thought. aef

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That happens to me all of the time. I have 3 cobblestone quilt tops unquilted because I'm sure I will ruin them.

Vivian said...

I also get that fear. I have two quilts basted that I finished at the start of this year but hesitated out of concern for the quilting.

Interestingly, one of my goals for this year was to make more "practice" quilts -- quilts that are easy to make (limited time commitment) and have no particular purpose (so they can be donated if I don't like 'em) that I can practice on to keep my confidence up for the projects "of note". The problem? Way too many "important" projects I really want to get done!

And I never would have guessed "Exuberant Color" felt that way -- I love her work!