Ok, thanks to all the input from Teri, Jeanne and Mary Anne... and of course my DH.
I have decided on scrolls instead of feathers, although I changed the ones I had experimented with. I realized two things. First, I was shying away from the scrolls, because they meant more tedious applique, but then that is what makes the quilt more interesting. Second, the experimental scroll was too thin and too short to fill the space. So I enlarged them and changed the direction of the points, so that it flows better in the shape.
The scroll samples made out of the white paper are the final shapes and sizes. I will use the blue/shrimp batik for the smaller applique and the gold/shrimp batik for the larger outer applique. I have also decided on the thread and the stitch.
So now with all my decisions made. Now I have to cut out all the shapes to prepare the applique.
Whew.... now to the real work.