Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Yes, I am smiling...

How many times does something that you thought was ruined or a waste of your time turn out to be so much fun? Well, that is how I feel about my 'experiment'. You know the quilt where I didn't measure twice, cut once, so it is wonky, because two sides of a square are longer than the other two :-).

Anyway, I quilted the pink square (the wonky one) tonight and it went pleasantly well. I feel as if I have found my groove on my 830. I know the right speed, I can hear when I am going to fast or too slow, and my foot doesn't get tired. I quess all that playing and practicing has paid off. Here is a close up of the pink round.



Then looking at the black, I sat wondering what to do. The bobbin play going around the 'sphlat' began to look like the spine of a feather, so I decided that I was going to do feathers in the black. Hey, I have been practicing them quite a bit. Well, I must say, I am pretty pleased with the first go round.



I have gone all around the quilt, with one row of feathers. Now, I have to decide, if I continue adding feathers mirroring the first round, do free form feathers in the remaining black area, or if I echo quilt the first row of feathers, or ???? But as usual, I will go to bed and let the quilt talk to me in my sleep.

Good night all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

free motion Renee, free motion. Let the feathers be a feature.

Teri

Mary Anne said...

Your quitling is looking wonderful! Keep up the great work!!!

Renee said...

I am leaning towards free form feathers, but don't quite think, small feathers really look like feathers and based on the amount of quilting in this piece, I definitely need the black to be heavily quilted. Plus, the black round is where the wonky effect really shows, so I need the close quilting to ease the extra fabric in and make it lay flat (at least that is my theory, I hope it will work). So I think I will practice on small feathers and see how they look, and then decide.

Thanks for your comments Mary Anne and Teri!

Tarnyia said...

Hi Renee.. came across your blog by accident... have had a good look around and I just love your free motion quilting... quite inspiring keep it up :)

Renee said...

Thanks Tarnyia... I hope you come back often.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are doing great stuff, I like this piece you are working on. Have fun!