Friday, May 15, 2009

Practicing my Sphlats!

So how many of you know what a sphlat is??? Well I have the perfect quilt top for a sphlat, so I just had to learn how to make them. Thanks to Libby Lehman for the lesson at the Ricky Tims Seminar :-)

Here's my first attempt at a sphlat! I didn't use a hoop as I don't have one (I will get one for my new Bernina 830 when it comes in... heeheehee ).. so there is a bit of rippling. But that is ok, this was just for fun. I bet if I used some of Ricky's stabilizer, I could have eliminated that. Guess I will have to try that on the next sample.

I also realize that I truly do need to use three different thread colors to show the highlighting. I did the highlighting in inner parts of the curve in a deeper color gold. It doesn't show up well in this picture, but I do need a darker shade to give the effect of bent ribbon. I also studied some of Libby's quilts and sees that she brings the highlighting out a little more, to really show off the effect. Well, at least know I know what I need to do, before I actually add it to a quilt top. When I told my friend Ashley that I knew exactly which top I was going to do the thread play on, the first thing she said was... you are going to practice right :-).... she knows how much I love to just wing it! But no... this is something you practice first, so that is what I will do.

But that is for another night... now it is time to get some sleep.

Night... R....

No comments: