Thursday, January 29, 2015

Playing with my Silhouette Cameo cutter

I tend to doodle a lot.  Some doodles are just that.  Others are more complete.  Some stay on the scrap paper, others get done over and over again.  Some get added to my sketch pad, others go in the garbage.

But this one doodle has been intriguing.  It has made it from the back of an evelope, to a piece of paper, to my sketch pad, to being done again in ink, to being scanned, to being cut on my Cameo.  I am not quite sure it is ready for prime time yet, but I do think I know where I am going with it.  Can't share it just yet, but when it is ready, I'll let you know.

In the meantime...  here are some shots of that innocent doodle along the way...

This is the fist sketch (cleaned up with a lot of eraser) done on the back of an envelope

Next I traced it into my sketchpad...


The Cameo didn't like the glare from the lead in the picture, nor the thickness of the lines.  I kept getting a double cutting line, so to eliminate it, I had to color in the positive space with a permanent marker.





  At this point I was ready to take another picture and import it into the Cameo.  I had already spent over 8 hours trying to get a good clean trace of the circle medallion.  Luckily, there were no issues with the trace this time, so I sent it to the Cameo and prayed....  and it WORKED!...


Neck I have to size it.  This is about 5" and for my idea to work, I don't want it bigger than 4".  But now at least I know what to do.  Oh yeah, I am going to eliminate those tiny inner circles.  My goal is to cut about 20 of these out of felt, and it will never cut those tiny circles cleanly....

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

QuiltShopGal said...

Very interesting design. I also enjoy my Silhouette.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com